Monday, March 5, 2012

3/5/12 - First Day of Rehearsals!

Before rehearsal:

Today everything will change! I will finally put faces to characters, I will see what actions they are putting to their characters, I will know what the set is going to be. I will find out if I'm prepared enough and if I've prepared correctly!

I wish I had slept later, because we go until 10pm tonight. But once I was awake at 6am, it was really hard to get back to sleep. And here I thought I had shaken off east coast time. Guess not. So I got to see the beginnings of the sunrise from my window.




Right now the biggest thing on my mind is figuring out how to get into the parking garage at the rehearsal space!

Side note and tip for staying with a host - when using the microwave for the first time, assume it's a higher wattage than whatever machine you are used to.

Later in the day:

First rehearsal went great! Everybody is so nice and so prepared. I met Maria, director, rehearsal pianist, and stage manager. We did the scenes before and after "My Favorite Things" and staged the song. So awesome to start getting the show on its feet.

We all sort of lamented the fact that we didn't get to have a full company read-through to kick off the show, but some of the cast are coming later, and of course the kids are only available in the evenings.

The rehearsal space is awesome. It's on the ninth floor of a building in midtown and it's got windows going almost 360 degrees, so the views are just amazing.




I got done early and came home to try to take a nap, but it didn't really take. I hope that adrenaline can keep me going for this evening. 10pm is going to feel pretty late. I TRIED to nap. I thought I was tired enough, but I guess not.

After the final rehearsal of the evening:

I am totally beat but it was a great, productive day. We blocked my biggest scenes, and it feels great to have that out of the way. All the cast members that I have met are very nice, and the interim music director loved the way I sang "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," so I'm his new biggest fan, hee. So now my nerves can calm down a bit. I have tomorrow off, so I can review everything, and work on the aspects of the character that they want from me. Specifically - Mother Abbess has to be more authoritative, more instructive, and less sympathetic. Gotta give Maria the tough love.  But I feel like I'm off to a good start, and toward the end of rehearsal, I really felt like I was tapping into what the director (and the music director) wanted. And the big hit tune sounded alright for being exhausted. I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment